The Michigan Road Scholars Tour for faculty at the University of Michigan is a five-day traveling seminar on the State of Michigan. This educational tour exposes participants to the state's economy, government and politics, culture, educational systems, health and social issues, history, and geography.
Designed to increase mutual knowledge and understanding between the university and the people and communities of the state,the tour introduces participants to the places the majority of our students call home, encourages university service to the public, and suggests ways faculty can help address state issues through research, scholarship and creative activity.
Goals of the tour:
- Develop among faculty an awareness of the state's distinctive geography, economy, culture, government and politics, history, educational systems, health and social issues.
- Learn about the communities that a majority of our students call home.
- Encourage service to the public and research to address state problems.
- Show how the University of Michigan is connected to the entire state.
- Introduce faculty to the Michigan some of them might otherwise never see.
- Promote interaction among faculty across the disciplines.