Development of Steelcase Wood Products Manufacturing Division Environmental Performance Measures Project
This project focuses on the development of a set of metrics to measure the environmental performance of Steelcase Wood Products Division (SWD) over time. These metrics establish the point of reference for future improvement at SWD and provide feedback on new process implementations. Specifically, the project aims to:
- Develop of a set of environmental performance measurement methods and allocation procedures for the highly dynamic Wood Products Division, maintaining adherence to standardized international environmental impact metrics (such as ISO 14040).
- Apply energy consumption and GHG emissions metrics for benchmarking and ongoing monitoring of division environmental performance. Specific data collection requirements will be established for these two metrics to direct data collection operations and integration with division accounting and operational databases wherever possible.
- Establish a baseline quantification of energy and GHG metrics and, to the extent possible consider the availability of historical data and undertake a comparative environmental impact case study of division operations before and after recent consolidation and conservation efforts.
- In cases where historical data collection is possible, completion of a comparative environmental impact analysis of past and current Wood Products Division operations. To supplement this comparison, sensitivity analysis on the framework will be carried out to determine efficacy.
- Establish a long-term plan for monitoring and data analysis.
In particular, this effort will assist division managers in:
- Accurately estimating the environmental performance (energy and GHG emissions) of the Steelcase Wood Products Division based on standardized environmental performance metrics.
- Identifying tradeoffs among decision options for changes in operations, product lines, and outsourcing.
- Tracking environmental progress using standardized, comparable metrics over time.
Additionally, the project aims to provide a toolset for use in achieving Steelcase, Inc. (SCS) corporate sustainability beyond SWD. The use of corporate wide databases and industry average datasets will streamline future implementation across the corporation. As a test bed for the techniques and processes involved with this project, SWD will help corporate managers evaluate and adapt these tools before widespread adoption at other divisions, increasing the overall efficiency of environmental indicator implementation across the SCS enterprise.